This gold-plated goblet is decorated with a design of vine leaves and grapes over the body, reeds and rushes on the stem and flowers on the base. Under the rim is engraved: 'Presented by Lady Agnes Campbell / 1st Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers / 1861'. Originally this item had a box, inside which was written 'In fulfilment of the promise made by Lt Col Sir Archibald Islay Campbell Bt', although the meaning of these words has now been lost.
The 1st Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers trace their origins to 1859, when the Duke of Hamilton, Lord-Lieutenant of the County, approved the formation of a volunteer regiment in Glasgow. Sir Archibald Islay Campbell, an M.P. for Argyllshire, was appointed Captain. On his death in 1866, his brother, Sir George Campbell, took command of the regiment. Sir George had been a Captain in the 1st Dragoons and had been celebrated as a hero of the Heavy Brigade at Balaclava.
The hallmark tells us that the goblet was made in 1834 by Joseph and John Angell, showing that it was made some years before the wording was added. this, they were presented with this cross by Sir Robert Napier who was the commander of the campaign.
The Coptic cross is a symbol of the Orthodox Christian faith and represents the resurrection of Christ and the eternal love of God.