Magdala Cross

This brass cross was taken from a church in Magdala, Abyssinia (now known as Ethiopia) in 1868. The 26th Cameronians did not arrive in Abyssinia until the very end of the campaign there and did not see any action. Despite this, they were presented with this cross by Sir Robert Napier who was the commander of the campaign.

The Coptic cross is a symbol of the Orthodox Christian faith and represents the resurrection of Christ and the eternal love of God.

Magdala Cross magnify
Magdala Cross

The Magdala Cross taken from a church in Abyssinia.