Colonel James Merry
Colonel James Merry had a long connection with the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers (LRV). He joined the regiment when it formed in 1859, having helped to raise the 14th Lanarkshire (South Western Company), which became the 3rd LRV. Merry was in attendance at the first Royal Review of Volunteers in Edinburgh on 7 August 1860.
Steadily rising through the ranks, Merry took command in 1877 and stayed with the regiment until 1895. He encouraged the skill of marksmanship, presenting a shooting trophy that takes his name.
Outside the LRV, Merry was the Principal Partner of James Merry & Co. Calico Printers of Renfield Street, Glasgow. He was a freemason and a football fan, being Chairman of the Glasgow Charity Cup Committee, a fundraising football competition which ran annually from 1877 to 1966. This personal passion for football reflects the development of the 3rd LRV football team into the Third Lanark team.
A native of Kilmarnock, Merry died in 1900, aged 63.