Pipe Major Matheson B.E.M.
This piper’s uniform belonged to Pipe Major John Matheson, who served with The Cameronians for twenty years.
He was ‘handpicked for the job’ of Pipe Major with The Cameronians while on parade with the KOSB Regiment in 1943. His first postings were with the 1st Battalion in India and Burma. In 1947 he gained his Pipe Major’s certificate at Edinburgh Castle.
In the following years, Matheson served with the 1st Battalion in Trieste, Hong Kong and Malaya. Latterly Pipe Major Matheson was in charge of the pipers of the Lowland Brigade Junior Soldiers’ Wing of the Depot at Lanark.
He retired from the army in 1962 but went on to work for the British Motor Corporation where he was also involved in instructing pipers and drummers in his new role as Pipe Major for their pipe band.