Lieutenant Colonel Stanley Storm OBE MC (1911-2005)
Stanley Storm was born in West Hartlepool. He enlisted as a boy soldier in 1928 and was posted to The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
He had a particular interest in piping and was placed within the top three in the Regimental Piping Competition in his first year of service.
From the age of eighteen, Stanley worked his way up through the ranks, serving in Egypt and India in the 1930s. In 1939 he was promoted to Warrant Officer Class II and from June 1940, he was commissioned under King’s Regulations into the 6th Battalion. It was during this period that Field Marshal Montgomery presented him with a Military Cross for his part in action in the South Beveland and Walcheren Islands.
Aside from his military service, he was a keen swimmer. He also taught mathematics to the 1st Battalion and he wrote articles for The Covenanter Regimental Journal.
Stanley Storm retired from the Army in 1958. He then spent the next thirteen years working for the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
Low Parks Museum holds a large collection of objects, archive and photographs relating to Lieutenant Colonel Storm.